The Program for support of the civil society and the water related environment in the Baltic Sea Basin in Western Ukraine is being implemented by Coalition Clean Baltic in cooperation with two local partners – the Western Center of the Ukrainian Branch of the World Laboratory (WCUBWL) and Lviv City Public Organization “Ecoterra” (Ecoterra).
The overall Program goal is that local residents of Lviv Oblast have access to improved sanitary conditions and healthy food and drinking water.
The Program goal is achieved by addressing two long-term objectives:
- Reduced levels of pollution and eutrophication of surface and ground water and improvement of ecological status the Western Bug river basin. WCUBWL is the partner who contributing to the achievement of this goal;
- Sustainable healthy food is available for local citizens by means of advocating for alternative sustainable methods of farming. Public opinion and public movement for preservation and protection of local ecosystems is formed. Ecoterra provides the main contribution to achieving this goal.
Program activities are contributing to the reduction of the water’s pollution in Western Ukraine caused by poor sanitation conditions and to promotion of sustainable healthy food, both implemented through the following actions:
- introduction of the sustainable sanitation solutions in order to decrease pollution of water objects through the dialog with the authorities and beneficiaries, providing equal opportunity for participation,
- raising awareness about a problem of poor water quality in the region and making contribution to the transboundary management of the Western Buh,
- developing of recommendations and participation in management process of the Western Buh,
- promotion and by providing sustainable healthy food and introducing alternative sustainable methods of farming. Creating fora for discussion, capacity development and experience exchange,
- promotion of sustainable sanitation methods and changing attitude towards new solutions,
- providing support for water analyses of the Western Buh in Sokal and opening dialog with authorities about solutions,
- promotion of the organic agriculture in Western Ukraine as a way of preventing water pollution,
- raising public awareness about the benefits of consuming the organic products for health and environment,
- organisation of organic fair.