Coalition Clean Baltic and partners of Plastic Free Ocean Project held the final conference on 8 June 2020 from 14:00 to 19:00 CET and on 9 June 2020 from 9:00 to 14:00 CET, via Zoom.
The aim of the conference was to address the growing pollution of the Baltic Sea (and trough it – the world ocean) by single-use plastic items, primary and secondary microplastics, and associated toxic chemicals through a combination of policy-oriented measures, awareness-raising public campaigns, monitoring activities, assistance to identify target groups from private and municipal sectors in switching to plastic-free alternatives.
On the first day we explored the issue of plastic pollution and its effect on our environment and life with presentations by scientists on the topic and discussions in breakout groups, concluding with a panel discussion on the future after the COVID-19 pandemic.
On the second day, we presented success stories of PFO project’s Partners and considered the biggest challenges for Plastic Free Ocean. We discussed possible ways to reach a future free from plastic pollution, through moderated debate and talks in breakout groups.
As part of the conference, a virtual screening of The Story of Plastic film was made available.
– Provisional Agenda
Presentations – 1st Day
– 1. Opening remarks on CCB and Plastic Free Ocean Project – Eugeniy Lobanov (CCB)
– 2. Myths and facts about microplastics – Ewa Siedlecka (Polish Ecological Club, Gdańsk University)
– 3. Process for preparation of UN MEA on marine litter and plastic – David Azoulay (CIEL)
– 4. Citizen Science-concept and examples of good practices -Tymon Zieliński (Institute of Oceanology, Polish Academy of Sciences)
– 5. FanpLESStic-sea a year’s work to study the microplastics problem – Yana Baranovskaya (ECAT-Kaliningrad)
– 6. Chemical additives to plastic and ocean pollution – Sara Brosche (IPEN Science Advisor)
– 7. The global movement envisioning a future free from plastic pollution – Delphine Levi Alvares (Break Free From Plastic Movement, Zero Waste Europe)
Presentations – 2nd Day
– 1. I start with myself for Cleaner Latvia – results from children contests and social media campaigns – Green Belt of Latvia
– 2. Reducing plastic pollution – FoB engagement tools – Friends of the Baltic, Russia
– 3. No plastic challenge – motivating actions to eco-lifestyle – Estonian Green Movement
– 4. Pilot project in coastal municipality Jurmala – Environmental Protection Club of Latvia
– 5. Environmental activities between generations to beat plastic pollution – WorldLAb Ukraine
– 6. Making environmental education enthusiastic, creative and fun – Lithuanian Fund for Nature
– 7. Outcomes from brainstorming workshop How not to drawn in plastic – Polish Ecological Club Pomeranian Branch
– 8. Guideline Sharing Best-Practice Experience on Reducing Plastic Waste – BUND Germany, Friends of the Earth Germany
– 9. Narrative discussion towards plastic-free BSR – Center for Environmental Solutions, Belarus
Recording / 1st Day – 8 JUNE
Recording / 2nd Day – 9 JUNE
The Zoom link was provided in due time to the registered participants.
A certificate of participation will be sent upon request.
Contact person: Agnieszka Fiszka Borzyszkowska (firstname.lastname@example.org)
With the contribution of: