On Thursday, 11 March 2021, will be held online the HELCOM Stakeholder Conference 2021: “Practically Implementing Ecosystem-Based Management”.
This workshop co-organised by CCB and the Swedish Agency for Marine and Water Management (SwAM) is having 3 main objectives:
- What are the basic principles of the Ecosystem Approach (EA) and Ecosystem-based management (EBM)
What is the ecosystem approach, and how can ecosystem-based management best be implemented?
- Bottlenecks and opportunities
What are the bottlenecks to and opportunities for the implementation of ecosystem-based management?
- BSAP update
In addition to supporting the UN Decade of Ocean Science, the results of the conference may be used to support the drafting and implementation of the updated HELCOM Baltic Sea Action Plan (BSAP).
Participation is open to all but due to limited number of seats (90), registration will be on a first-come-first-serve basis and close when the maximum number of participants has been reached.
Registration will close on 26 February 2021 at the latest or when all seats are taken.
Before you register:
- Some basic knowledge about the ecosystem approach and/or ecosystem-based management is recommended, especially in the Baltic Sea context;
- You must be willing to attend the entire HSC2021 conference;
- HSC2021 is organised in a workshop style: you will be asked to actively contribute to the sessions (guidance will be provided by the moderators);
- HSC2021 will aim at producing concrete action suggestions to be presented to the relevant HELCOM bodies and other stakeholders for their consideration;
- Based on your profile as indicated during the registration, you will be assigned by us to a group (see “stations” further below);
- You must be willing to complete some small “homework” tasks prior to the event to familiarise yourself with the tools and subject. Instructions will be sent to you in due time.
- The HSC2021 will be held online using Zoom and other online collaboration tools.
10:30–10:40 Welcoming remarks by Rüdiger Strempel (HELCOM)
10:40–10:50 Opening keynote presentation by Mark Dickey-Collas (ICES)
10:50–11:00 Conference instructions and icebreaker
11:00–12:30 Session 1 (Station 1+2+3)
13:30–15:00 Session 2 (Station 1+2+3)
15:15–16:45 Session 3 (Station 1+2+3)
17:00–17:30 Closing plenary session
Timings are EET/Helsinki time